Friday, February 17, 2012

Political & Economic Crises in Egypt


 One year ago this month, the uncertainty of the Egyptian Revolution drove our church to pray every day at noon under the canopy tent where we worship.  We had electric and desperate worship services that found God waiting for us every week.  As things calmed over the next few months, we slipped back into business as usual as we searched for a “new normal.”  Now one year later, in a less dramatic (but no less ominous) way, we still face uncertainty and insecurity.  We wonder where we will be in February 2013 and what we will be worried about then?  We wonder if the Revolution will accomplish its hoped for ends of freedom and liberal democracy, or will it really turn out to be a subtle military coup or a move to a conservative Islamic government?  We wonder as Egypt’s economy flirts with an impending insolvency, will that turn out to be the real threat to our safety that drives us from this land as starving people might turn desperate.
 
Abdul Naga criticizes NGOs
      The current crisis with selected NGO (non-government organizations) has the potential to be a larger shift than the Revolution a year ago.  Egypt claims that these particular NGOs (whose charters are to promote democracy and freedom) have actually sown seeds of dissent and promoted chaos with the intent to de-stabilize and over-throw Egypt.  Furthermore, some hint that the US government is behind this.  And more than a few firmly believe that Israel is manipulating the US to weaken Egypt to this end.
       On several levels, it seems hard to believe that someone would buy into the illogic of this train of thought (such as: why in the world would the US want yet an unstable, less-friendly power on the Western flank of the Middle East to complement the one on the eastern flank?).  It seems more likely and logical to me that the current government is trying to divert attention from their own issues and performance to find a scapegoat in “foreign influences.”  Yet I have talked to a few educated, well-intentioned Egyptian followers of Jesus who believe these charges of anarchy.
      I found this profoundly discouraging, but then realized how naive and bias I still am—even after nearly four years of living in Egypt.  In the end, whether or not I agree with them is really not the point.  The real issue is: how can I understand the world view of someone from a different culture (particularly when we worship the same Lord)?  I continue to learn that I have lived a sheltered life oblivious to how the rest of the world thinks.  In the Middle East, their view is that America’s policy of unconditional support for Israel (and anything that Israel does), alienates virtually all Egyptians, Arabs, and Persians.  It seems that everything in politics in this region comes back to this fundamental issue.  If I am to understand the people of this region, then I have to grapple with their realities.
Revolution tensions over peace treaty
      I am learning that the issue is much more complex than I had imagined.  I have learned that there is a profound lack of peace, justice, and mercy on ALL sides.  I have learned that there is plenty of hatred and intolerable violence all around.  For me, Micah 6:8 has become a central passage guiding how I evaluate the actions of any government or person: “He has showed you, O man, what is good.  And what does the LORD require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”  The principle is the same in the New Testament when Jesus says it all boils down to this: Love God, love people.  And love for people can be measured in how we deal with the least of these (the most disadvantaged who have no way to repay you).
      To be a global Christian is to set aside my presuppositions and prejudices of my “tribe.”  Bob Roberts (Baptist pastor in Dallas-area who has written much on the need for a global church movement with local application) has talked with Middle East government and religious officials who ask, “Why do you Christians hate Arabs so much?”  Bob says in a tweet: “Biggest challenge for global Christians? Seeing nations as God sees them w/kingdom eyes vs nationalistic or political eyes.”  In the Middle East, this means being an advocate for all people groups to be treated justly and compassionately to protect their basic human rights.  In the end, I have to realize that I am here in Egypt as an ambassador for Jesus, not for my home country.  When I am overcome by the desire to defend the latter, I lose my focus on the former.  I also have to realize that how long I am here is not really my call; it’s God’s call if I am truly His unconditional servant.  As we sing in a worship song: “My life is in You, Lord.  My hope is in You!”

No comments: